Artimino, La Ferdinanda...

The Hamlet of Artimino situated in the nearby Florence hills was built in the ancient Etruscan era. Its medieval layout is still almost fully intact today, formed by an outer wall and the ancient village clock tower.
In the Renaissance period, the hamlet became a Medici property together with the estate and the hunting reserve annex.
The history of 'La Ferdinanda' Villa began in 1596 when the famous architect Bernardo Buontalenti was commissioned to build it by Ferdinando I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany. Originally constructed as a hunting residence, the villa was completed very quickly and the court of the Grand Duke with the Duchess, Christina of Lorraine, moved to this delightful estate. The Grand Duke and Duchess also lived at Artimino during the summer when the weather was too sultry to stay in Florence.
A distinctive feature of the villa is its numerous chimneys protruding from the roof, making it visible for miles around and giving it its name of the 'villa of the 100 chimneys'.

.......and the Carmignano

The Carmignano region was one of the first Tuscan regions to be permitted to use Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc in their DOC wines since those varieties had a long history of being grown in the region.
Noted for the quality of its wines since the Middle Ages, Carmignano was identified by Cosimo III de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany as one of the superior wine producing areas of Tuscany and granted special legal protections in 1716. In the 18th century, the producers of the Carmignano region developed a tradition of blending Sangiovese with Cabernet Sauvignon, long before the practice became popularized by the "Super Tuscan" of the late 20th century. In 1975, the region was awarded Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) status and subsequently promoted to Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) status in 1990.


Recommended Historic Sites
The church of San Michele: It was built in the 12th century and is the most important attraction of the town, housing a “Visitation” by the Renaissance master Pontormo.
The Rocca (Castle): The 10th century castle is located in the upper part of the town. It is accessible by a scenic walkway and preserves few traces of the old fortifications.
The Etruscan tombs in Comeana: In the village of Comeana, in the surroundings of Carmignano, there are some Etruscan tombs of high archaeological interest.
Medici Villa in Artimino: The Medici Villa “La Ferdinanda” in Artimino has a peculiarity: there’s a fireplace in every room! Inside the Villa there are fifty-six rooms and today hosts conferences, ceremonies and cultural events.

Recommended Restaurant
Ristorante "Biagio Pignatta"
Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII, 1 , Artimino
tel. +39-055-8751406

Recommended  Hotel
Hotel Paggeria Medicea
Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII , 1, Artimino
Tel. +39-055-8751401



Next page